5 posts Page 1 of 1

hi

my class is doing a renewable energy assignment, and i have to talk about biomass.

i understand that biomass comes from animal waste and plants... and thats about it (:

heres my questions:

1. Does biomass make the electricity right away (like solar power... does the source go to generators and make the electricity?)

2. Or does it just make gas to burn and make hot water, ovens, ect.

3. How does the process go of burning, or fermenting all of the waste and plants.

any extra info, just as long as its simple and ill be able to understand it!

x

Biomass has to be burned in a power plant like coal or oil in order to make electricity. Many plants are experimenting with adding biomass in the form of wood chips to coal in order to use less coal. Other forms of biomass (like sewage sludge or household garbage) can be fermented in large tanks, or landfills, to methane gas and that can be burned to make electricity.

Biomass to be burned directly often has to be dried, and shredded to be compatible with the design of the boiler it is being burned in. Biomass to be fermented is buried or placed in a tank in the absence of air, and natural microbiological action makes the flammable gases, which are then collected and purified to be burned like natural gas.

DK

You burn it or chemically convert it to something more easily burnt.

Look up gasification, pyrolysis, Fischer Tropsch, syngas, wood gas, town gas, coal gas, BTL and synthetic fuels.

im stumped... all i know is that cows produce methane gas which goes into buses that say "powered by all natural gas"

Check out this website, it's very informative:

http://www.helium.com/items/338605-how-biomass-energy-works
5 posts Page 1 of 1